Procedure for burial.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Pls email me the complete procedure that one should do for the dead body. from the time of his/her death till burring.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Procedure for burial
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
As soon as ones believing loved one dies, those nearest and dearest to them should do the following in preparation for their funeral:
- Close the eyes and the mouth of the deceased if open, straighten their hands and their legs if bent.
- Wash the body of the deceased.
- Shroud the body of the deceased, preferably in white cloth.
- The believers should offer the prescribed funeral prayer for the deceased.
- Bury the deceased.
- Immediately after the burial, it is Sunnah to again make supplication for the deceased.
- Guide and exhort the family of the deceased towards patience, and try to provide them food and drink for the three-day period of mourning.
There are some basic details which need to be followed in each of the above acts of Sunnah when preparing for the funeral of a believing loved one, and if you wish to seek clarification on any one or all of the above Sunnah acts, we would be more than honored to provide you with the same giving the reference for each from the authentic and established Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws).
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,