I WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR A GIRL, HER SISTER`S HUSBAND ARE INCLUDED IN MEHRAM FOR HER OR NOT.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
I WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR A GIRL, HER SISTER`S HUSBAND ARE INCLUDED IN MEHRAM FOR HER OR NOT.I ALSO WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR A GIRL WHO ARE INCLUDED IN MEHRAM AND WHO ARE NOT.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
List of mehrams
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 4 Surah Nisaa verses 22-23:
And do not marry at all those women whom your father had married, though what has happened in the past is excepted. This is an indecent and abominable thing and an evil practice.
Forbidden to you are your mothers, daughters, sisters, paternal aunts, maternal aunts, brothers daughters, sisters daughters, your foster mothers who have given suckle to you, your foster sisters who have taken suckle with you, the mothers of your wives, the daughters of your wives whom you have brought up, the daughters of your wives with whom you have conjugal relations, and it is not sinful for you to marry their daughters (after having divorced them). Also forbidden to you are the wives of your sons who are from your loins, and it is unlawful for you to keep two real sisters as wives at one and the same time, though what has happened in the past is excepted, for Allah is indeed Forgiving, Merciful.
Your Question: I WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR A GIRL, HER SISTER`S HUSBAND ARE INCLUDED IN MEHRAM FOR HER OR NOT.
Although it is absolutely unlawful in Shariah for a man to wed and keep two real sisters as his wives at one and the same time, it is absolutely permissible for him to marry his wifes sister if he divorces his wife or she dies.
A sisters husband is not amongst the list of relations which are sacred or haraam as listed in the Aayah quoted above; thus the husband and his wifes sisters are definitely not considered or treated as mehrams in Shariah.
Your Question: I ALSO WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR A GIRL WHO ARE INCLUDED IN MEHRAM AND WHO ARE NOT.
Beloved sister, for the moment we will provide you only a general list where almost all the mehrams are included. There are a lot of technicalities when a foster or suckle relationship is concerned, thus we will not for the moment get into the details and technicalities of foster-relationships. If you have a question regarding if a particular suckle-relation is mehram or not, it would be easier if you asked us specifically.
List of Mehram of the woman:
- Father (includes grand father, great grand father, great great grand father, etc.)
- Sons (includes sonss and daughters sons, grand sons, and so on)
- Brother ( includes brothers sons, their sons, and so on)
- Sisters sons (includes sisters sons sons, their sons, and so on)
- Paternal and Maternal uncles
- Son in law
- Father in law
- step father (from the day the step father conjugates with ones real mother)
- step sons (from the day the wife conjugates with the real father of the step sons)
- All the men who have shared the suckle of the woman she suckled with.
List of Mehram of the man:
- Mother (includes grand mother, and so on)
- Daugther (includes sons and daughters grand daughters, and so on)
- Brothers daughters (includes their daughters, grand daughters, and so on)
- Sister (includes their daughters, grand daughters, and so on)
- Paternal and Maternal aunties
- Daughter in law
- Mother in law
- Step mother (from the day the step mother conjugates with ones real father)
- Step daughter (from the day the husband conjugates with the real mother of the step daughters)
- All the women who have shared the suckle of the woman he suckled with.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,