The worship of itikaf.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Can i please know all dos and donts of sunat e aiteqaaf during ramadan.......?
Please guide me to observe a pure aiteqaaf.....
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
The worship of itikaf
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 3.152a
Topic: Permisible Acts for the Mu'takif
The following acts are perrnissible for one who is performing the worship of itikaaf:
1. Combing and cutting one's hair, clipping one's nails, cleaning one's body, wearing nice clothes or wearing perfume are all permissible.
2. The person may go out for some need that he must perform. The scholars agree that the one who performs itikaaf may leave the mosque in order to answer the call of nature, for this is something that he personally must perform, and he cannot do it in the mosque. Also, if he needs to eat or drink and there is no one to bring him his food, he may leave to get it. If one needs to vomit, he may leave the mosque to do so. For anything that he must do but cannot do in the mosque, he can leave it, and such acts will not void his itikaaf, even if they take a long time. Examples of these types of acts would include washing one's self, cleaning his body or clothes from impurities, attending the Friday prayers, witnessing a funeral, etc.
3. The person may eat, drink, and sleep in the mosque, and he should also keep it clean.
Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 3.154
Topic: Actions that nullify the worship of itikaaf:
If a person performs one of the following acts, their itikaaf will be nullified:
1. Intentionally leaving the mosque without any need to do so, even if it is for just a short time. In such a case, one would not be staying in the mosque, which is one of the principles of itikaaf.
2. Abandoning belief in Islam, as this would nullify all acts of worship.
3. Losing one's reason due to insanity or drunkenness, or the onset of menstruation or post-childbirth bleeding, all of which disqualifies a person for itikaaf.
4. Sexual intercourse.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,