Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Neeyah before witr.

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

To my understanding Niyyah is important before Taqbir. During Taraweeh prayers, after eight rakahs, the imam does not announce whether he is continuing with Taraweeh prayer or he is going to pray Witr. Neither does he follow the same pattern every day. Should I wait for him to see what surah he recites after Al-Fatihah then make my Niyyah and start praying? 

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

Answer:

Neeyah before witr

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

Your Question: To my understanding Niyyah is important before Taqbir.

As much as the neeyah is an obligatory part of prayer in Shariah, a neeyah is no more than the intention one makes in ones heart when one intends to offer a prayer. There is absolutely no obligation nor is it necessary in Shariah for one to make or declare the neeyah or intention verbally.the intention one makes in ones heart at the beginning of the prayer would more than suffice to fulfill the obligation of neeyah for prayer.

Your Question: During Taraweeh prayers, after eight rakahs, the imam does not announce whether he is continuing with Taraweeh prayer or he is going to pray Witr. Neither does he follow the same pattern every day. Should I wait for him to see what surah he recites after Al-Fatihah then make my Niyyah and start praying? 

If the imaam of the masjid one normally offers their tarawih prayer for any reason does not make the declaration that he is about to start the witr prayers, nor does he keep to a similar or same routine everydaythere is absolutely no harm in offering the witr prayer along with the imaam with the neeyah made at the beginning of their tarawih prayers.for the Messenger of Allah (saws) said: the prayer of the Imaam is the prayer of the muktadi (those who pray behind him).

Respected brother, the very essence of making a neeyah is that one makes intention before one starts the deed, not after or during the deed itself. Thus if you are praying the voluntary tarawih prayers behind an imam who for any reason does not announce the start of witr prayers after the completion of tarawih, or does not keep to a daily routine, etc.the neeyah that you made at the start of your tarawih prayers would more than suffice and you need not make a neeyah before every rakah or salaam thereafter.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

Burhan