Why Yaqoob Jacob was called Israel.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
and when did Prophet Yaqub (PBUH) was called as
Is it valid to keep the name of nation on prophet`s names like the state of Israel ?
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Why Yaqoob Jacob was called Israel
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Question: Why and when did Prophet Yaqub (PBUH) was called as
Exactly why or when was Prophet Yaqoob (a.s.) assigned or
given the name
There are several Jewish and Biblical traditions regarding the change of name of the Noble Prophet Yaqoob (a.s.) from the Old Testament and the Bible, which in our humble opinion border on manifest blasphemy!
Israel or in Hebrew Yisra-El is derived from two Hebrew root words: Yisra meaning to strive or struggle; and El means God.thus the literal meaning of the Hebrew term Israel would mean he who struggles with God and with men and it was a name apparently given to Prophet Yaqoob (a.s.) after he apparently (and I seek refuge in Allah from even saying this!) wrestled with God, as stated according to Jewish tradition and in the Bible in the Book of Genesis 32:22-32.
Book of Genesis Chapter 32: 22-32
22. That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of Jabbok.
23. After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions.
24. So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.
25. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacobs hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man.
26. Then the man said: Let me go, for it is daybreak. But Jacob replied, I will not let you go unless you bless me.
27. The man asked him, What is your name? Jacob, he answered.
Then the man said, Your name will no longer be Jacob, but
29. Jacob said, Please tell me your name. But he replied, Why do you ask my name? Then he blessed him there.
30. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.
31. The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip.
32. Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket of the hip, because the socket of Jacobs hip was touched near the tendon.
Book of Genesis Chapter 35:10
After Jacob returned from Paddan
Your Question: Is it valid to keep the name of nation on prophet`s names like the state of Israel ?
A name, regardless of whether it be assigned to an individual, a thing, or even a nation is no more than a sign or a mode of recognition of that individual or thing or nation.and if one wishes to name their nation through the name of one its most famous sons, there is absolutely no harm.
For example, what we know and recognize as the city of Madinah today was once known as Yathrib..but in honor of the Noble Prophet Mohamed (saws) migrating and residing in Yathrib it came to be later called, named, and recognized as Madinat un-Nabi or literally the City of the Prophet, or simply Madinah.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,