Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

I would like to know as in Malaysia and Singapore there is "Hantaran" and "Mas Kawin" during the nikah time...which one of this is consider "Mehr".

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

Assalamualaikum...i would like to know as in Malaysia and Singapore there is "Hantaran" and "Mas Kawin" during the nikah time...which one of this is consider "Mehr"

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

Answer:

Malay culture local rituals

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

Although we are not very familiar with the Malay culture, to the best of our knowledge the nominal Mas-Kawin is supposedly the obligatory mehr which the groom pays to the bride at the solemnization of nikaah; and the usually substantial Hantaran or what is sometimes called Belanja Hantaran or Belanja Hangus is a customary practice.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

Burhan