When he has a question about some matter of religion, who should he ask?

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
When I have a question about some religious matter, such as prayer, fasting, Hajj, dealings with others or divorce, is it sufficient to take the opinion of one of the Muslim scholars who are known to be knowledgeable, righteous and pious, and are qualified to issue fatwas, such as one of the Council of Major Scholars, or someone who has equivalent knowledge, and follow his response to my question? Or can I submit my question to a number of scholars and choose whichever answer suits me?
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:


Praise be to Allaah. 

If you have a question about any matter of religion, you must ask the people of knowledge, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So ask the people of the Reminder if you do not know” [al-Anbiyaa’ 21:7]

  If you are given a fatwa by someone whose knowledge and taqwaa you trust, then you have to adhere to that fatwa. It is not permissible for a person to ask a number of scholars so that he can choose the easiest fatwa or whatever suits his desires or opinion.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: