When calling an illegitimate child after his mother will cause harm

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
As-Salaamu Alaikum Ya noble Shaikh,
I have a question in regards to one of your answers. I have a first name followed by the first and last name of my father, unfortunately I was born out of wedlock. My mother wasn't muslim at this time 25 years ago, but has just become muslim this year(Al hamdu lillah). My question is would I still have to change my name to my mothers first name and family name even though when she did this sin she had never heard about Islam. Wouldn't this cause people to slander her and cause people to disrespect my mother and myself? Whatever is the right thing to do I submit to Allah Ta'ala. Please answer this question it is very important to me and my mother. May Allah bless you for teaching people the Deen you have helped me tremendously through your answers and kind words. JazakAllah Khair Wa Salaamu alaikum!
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:


Praise be to Allaah.

In this case you do not have to call yourself after your mother so long as this will cause embarrassment and pain. It is sufficient for you to add any other names you may choose to your name, so long as you do not keep the name of the man who fathered you out of wedlock. So for example you could call yourself Ibraaheem ibn Abd-Allaah ibn Abd al-Rahmaan, or Yoosuf ibn Abd-Allaah ibn Hammaam, and so on. May Allaah bless us and you with strength and goodness.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: