She took a ring from her mother without permission and lost it

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
One day I took a ring from my mother without her knowing, and by mistake I lost it. I was looking for it and I did not tell her that I had taken it and lost it. Please note that I was only twelve years old. Now I regret it deeply and I want to expiate for my sin. What should I do? Please advise me, may Allaah reward you with good.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Praise be to Allaah.

You did a mistake when you took the ring without permission and when you did not tell your mother after you lost it. What you have to do now is to tell your mother and ask her for forgiveness, and to compensate her with a ring like the one that she had. Because whoever takes the property of someone else without permission is a robber or one who seizes property unlawfully, and he must replace what he has taken. If this was done at a young age, below the age of adolescence, then the burden of sin is lifted, but the obligation to replace the item still remains, because the scholars have stated that a child must replace things that he has destroyed and make up for the loss in value that may have affected the things he took, then return them (to their owner).

 But if you think that telling her about this will most likely lead to a breakdown in relations or problem between you, then simply give her a ring, even if it appears to be a gift.

 And Allaah knows best.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: