Staying in a country where one cannot practise one’s religion openly.

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
What should the committed Muslim do if he is living in a non-Muslim country where he is obliged to shave his beard, not pray and to openly commit sin? If he leaves his family and his wealth, will that be counted as hijrah?
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:


Praise be to Allaah.

What the Muslim has to do is avoid staying in a country which calls him to that which Allaah has forbidden, or obliges him to do such things, such as not praying, or shaving the beard, or committing sins such as zinaa or drinking wine. He has to leave this country, because it is an evil land and it is not permitted for him to stay there at all. He has to migrate from it, even if that means going against and disobeying his parents, because obedience to Allaah takes priority, and obedience to parents is only with regard to good matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Obedience is only with regard to good things” and “There is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience to the Creator.” If a person cannot practise his religion openly or is forced to commit sin in any country, he has to migrate from that country.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: