Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Guardian wali for revert sister

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)


One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

Just spotted a answer you gave which i disagree with. a revert sister asked about who could be her guardian/wali for marriage as her family are non-muslim, you answered any God fearing person. thats is incorrect it should be any unmarriageable kin(father,brother,uncle etc) if thats not possible the family who helped her convert to Islam would be appropriate for her. Surely Allah (SWT) knows best.


(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)




Guardian wali for revert sister

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.


A disbeliever cannot be accepted as the wali of a believing woman in Shariah Law.


Brother a non-muslim cannot be a wali for an Islamic marriage of a revert sister. Therefore her mehrams will not be eligible. Any respectable, righteous Muslim male whom the sister trusts can become the wali in this situation.


However, your suggestion of one of the male family members who helped in her reversion to Islam is also possible if the sister wishes.


Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is only ones. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.


Your brother and well wisher in Islam,



Members of Islamhelpline


Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: