Reference number for hadith.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Dear Brother Burhan,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh
Can you please send me reference no. and practical explanation of this below mentioned hadith.
"When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things:
Sadaqah Jariyah (ceaseless charity);
a knowledge which is beneficial, or
a virtuous decendant who prays for him (for the deceased).'
Jazak Allah Khair
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Reference number for hadith
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Sahih Muslim Hadith 4005 Narrated by Abu Hurayrah
Allah's Messenger (saws) said: When a man dies, his deeds come to an end, but three:
1. recurring charity,
2. or knowledge (by which people) benefit,
3. or a pious off-spring, who prays for him (for the deceased).
The Messenger of Allah (saws) guided the believers that when a person dies, the recording in the Book of Records is brought to an absolute end and nothing can be added or subtracted from this Recordexcept three things:
- continuous act of charity: ie. the charity done by the deceased like building a school, or a hospital, or a mosque, or a well, etc. which is still being utilized for the good of man even after his death.the deceased shall earn a reward for such continuous deeds of charity even after his death.
- beneficial knowledge: ie. if the deceased strove and exhorted someone to believe and obey their Lord Creator, or the deceased gave someone a copy of the Glorious Quran, or some good advice, etc.then he will continue to receive the rewards of every good that person did on his advice.
- righteous offspring: ie. the near and loved ones who constantly supplicate their Lord to forgive their deceased loved one.
Other than the above listed three types of additions, absolutely nothing can be added to the Book of Records of one who is deceased.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,