How to perform the Eid fitr prayer.
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Please let me know the exact & correct way of performing Eid Namaaz.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
How to perform the Eid fitr prayer
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Listed below is the way the Prophet (saws) prepared for and performed the Eid-ul-Fitr prayer and khutba (sermon):
- The Eid prayers are considered obligatory or fard-kifayah in Islamic Jurisprudence. The Messenger of Allah (saws) exhorted all the believers, men, women, and children to attend the Eid prayers.
- It is obligatory on every believer to pay the zakat-ul-fitr before the Eid prayer commences.
- It is Sunnah to eat an odd number of dates before one goes to the Eid-ul-Fitr prayers.
- It is a preferred Sunnah to perform the ghusl, wear ones best or new attire, use the miswak to cleanse ones teeth, and if one has perfume, one should apply it before attending the Eid prayer.
- It is preferred to offer ones Eid prayers in an Eid-gah or an open area with the believers; if one is prevented by rain or has a genuine reason, there is absolutely no harm if the believer offers the Eid prayers in the masjids.
- It is a preferred Sunnah for the believers to verbally declare the takbirat aloud (Glorifications of the Lord) until the Imam starts the prayer.
- The Eid prayer consists of two-rakahs: during which it is a Sunnah for the Imam leading the prayer to declare the takbir (Allah-o-Akbar) seven times after the opening takbir and before the recitation of the Surah Al-Fatehah in the first rakah. During the second rakah, the takbir is to be declared five times before the recitation of the Surah Al-Fatehah. One should raise ones hands above their shoulders during each pronouncement of the takbir.
- After completion of the prayers, the Imam leading the prayers should face the believers and declare a short khutba or sermon praising and glorifying the Lord and exhorting the believers towards the good.
After the sermon, the believers are at liberty to celebrate and commemorate the joyous occasion of Eid
with their family, friends, loved ones and their believing brethren.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your brother and well wisher in Islam,