Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

However, the throwing of the pebbles has been prescribed merely as a means of remembering Allah Most High.

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

Assalam-u-Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Clarification

I have received one book from one of my colleague and it's about A Guide to Hajj, Umrah and Visit to The Prophet's (PBUH) Masjid, and it states that we (the pilgrims are under the impression that when we throw pebbles at the stone pillars, we assume actually throwing at Shayateen (Devils), and hence we hurl ourselves with rage and force.

Can you please advise me what is the fact, as back home or even whoever I met they all say that pebbles are thrown on Shayateen (devils), but the book which I read says the above.

Please provide the exact clarification.

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

Answer:

Pebbles jamarat at shaytaan or remember Allah

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

There is absolutely no doubt that there is no Shaytaan tied at the jamaaraat or the pillars where the pilgrims throw their pebbles in Muna, nor is that the residence of the Shaytaan, nor is he placed there!

Like the ehram, and the Maqam-e-Ibraheem (Station of Ibraheem), and the tawaaf, and the sai, and the mounts Safa and Marwa, and the plains of Muna, Muzdalifah, and Arafah, etc.the three jamaraat pillars at Muna too are amongst the Shaer or Signs of Allah Subhanah on this earth.

The rite of stoning or throwing pebbles at the Jamaraat pillars is one amongst the obligatory rites of the pilgrimage of Hajj, in commemoration of the enormous sacrifices of the choicest friend of Allah, the noble Prophet and Messenger of Allah, Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.). It is recorded in the Sunnah that when Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.) at the Command of his Lord, was just about to sacrifice his first-born son, the noble Messenger of Allah Hadrat Ismail (a.s.), the Shaytaan tried to dissuade Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.) and raise doubts in his heart. Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.), displaying his absolute submission unto every Command of his Lord, threw pebbles in that direction; moved to a place slightly further and again the same thing happened and again he threw some pebbles. This incident happened three times, and three times the Noble Messenger of Allah, Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.) threw pebbles in that direction..such was this subservience and submission and obedience of Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.) being ready to sacrifice his own son at one Command of his Lord accepted by Allah Subhanah, that the Lord ordained this rite of throwing pebbles at the Jamaarat in commemoration of the great sacrifice of his choicest friend and Khaleel, Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.), as one of the obligatory rites of Hajj.

Thus when one throws pebbles at the Jamaarat as a rite of Hajj, it is not that one is actually stoning a Shaytaan who is tied or placed there, but rather as a commemoration of the act done by the Noble Messenger, Hadrat Ibraheem (a.s.). Just as in normal circumstances, the ultimate sign of showing ones disapproval at some one or some thing is to throw pebbles at it.the stoning of the Jamaarat symbolizes our disapproval of every one, every thing, and every act which is disapproved by our Lord Most Majestic, Most Supreme.

Thus in effect, both statements, the stoning of the Shaytaan or the Remembrance of Allah when throwing pebbles at the Jamaarat are accurate..for without an iota of a doubt, the Shaytaan is an enemy of Allah and the believers, and our throwing of the pebbles epitomizes our complete abhorrence of every enemy of our Lord Most High, Most Majestic, Most Supreme.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

Burhan