Meaning of names.

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

assalamu allaikum,
pls tell me the meanings of nazia,ruqaiya,athar,irfan,naser,
jazak allah

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

Answer:

Meaning of names

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

Ref: Naziah

The Arabic term Naziah means pride.

Ref: Ruqaiyyah

The term Ruqaiyyah is an elative of the Arabic term Ruqya which means a spell or a charm; and Ruqiyyah was the name the Prophet (saws) chose to assign to one of his beloved daughters.

Ref: Athar

The Arabic term Athar would mean something which is neat and clean.

Ref: Irfaan

The Arabic term Irfaan would mean gratefulness.

Ref: Naser

The Arabic term Naser would mean a supporter and protector.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

Burhan