How to pray funeral prayer?
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Asalam wa laikum Burhan bhai,
how do we pray Funeral Prayer according with Sunnah Of Prophet Mohammed (SAW)
Please advise at your earliest.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, no dai, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Fiqh-us-Sunnah Fiqh 4.44
Summary for Funeral Prayer
1. Make sure that you meet all the requirements for a formal prayer (wudu, facing qibla, standing in congregation, etc.)
2. Stand up with the intention of supplicating for the deceased;
3. Raise both hands with a takbir (ie. stating Allah-o-Akbar aloud);
4. Fold your right hand over your left hand;
5. Commence the funeral prayer with the (silent) recitation of Surah Al-Fatihah.
6. After Al-Fatihah, raise both hands and declare the second takbir,
7. Offer salutations to the Prophet (saws), and then raise both hands and declare the third takbir.
8. Now supplicate for the deceased, and then declare the fourth and last takbir.
9. Make a general supplication.
10. End the prayer with salutation/s (to the right only, or to both the right and left sides).
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your Brother in Islam,