Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Can one break the Nafl prayer if fard prayer starts?

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.  (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

Salaam alei kum Brother, I am praying nafl namaaz before the fard Azan and while I am praying the Imam starts the fard prayers, what should be done: finish the nafl namaaz and then join the fard? Can we leave the nafl namaaz as is and join the fard? What is the correct sunnah of the prophet (saws). Jazak Allah Kheir 

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)

Answer:

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, no dai, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

If one has just started his nafl or sunnah prayers, and the iqaamah of the prayer is announced, he should break his nafl prayer and join the congregation prayers.

But if one has finished one rakah and is in the second rakah of the nafl or sunnah prayers, then it is preferred that he should finish his nafl prayers fast and then join the congregation. There is absolutely no harm and no sin if one breaks the nafl prayers to join the fard congregation at any time.

The way to break the nafl prayers is just stop praying and join the congregation. There is no need to do salaams of tasleem or anything else. Just the intention of breaking the nafl prayers is enough to invalidate the prayers.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your Brother in Islam,

Burhan